Thursday, July 1, 2010

Does anybody really know what time it is?

The time-flying train continues and the brakes are out!

It's only been a few days since our last post, but so much has happened since. To start off, John-Paul had a wonderful visit from Aunt Melissa and a play-date with her niece Theresa Marie. Not to worry, anyone, I told him that he can have play-dates and still become a priest later. I cleared it with Benny-16 prior to the visit...

John-Paul showed his mommy and daddy that he's grown up enough for a babysitter TWICE! This past Thursday, the lovely Schroders came over and watched our little guy while we were able to go out and have a wonderful evening away from home just like old times: Pappasito's, the Chocolate Bar for dessert, and even playing darts a la our first "date." Of course, the evening wasn't without a couple comments along the lines of "Do you think John-Paul made a poopie diaper for Miss Les yet?", but other than that it was the good old days (which of course I will quickly point out that we now live in the new BETTER days:-D). John-Paul ate his EBM (you'll have to look it up) that Mommy made for him, slept beautifully, and even let his babysitters give him a bath! What an agreeable young fellow!

Only two days later Miss Jodie came and watched our little guy with the same result. This time Mommy and Daddy were able to go with GrandBert and the Schroders to The Woodlands for the Doobie Brothers/Chicago concert. This was especially good for Daddy, as he was super bummed about the US losing in the World Cup earlier that day. The concert was wonderful, and Daddy decided that he needed to pass along the wonderful music of Chicago to John-Paul (and maybe some Doobie Brothers as well, but Chicago definitely was the best of the night!). We returned to find our little guy all sleep and sound. Sometimes I wonder if he even notices when we're gone!:-P

We topped off the extended weekend with two days of celebration and two "birthdays". As we informed John-Paul, on Sunday Mommy and Daddy turned one year old! We all decided to celebrate as a family, and went shopping together in the afternoon to buy groceries for a wonderful anniversary feast! We decided we could have a lot more fun at home, and so made an appetizer, main course, and dessert, each with their own wine "pairing" (ie we picked a wine that we though would probably taste good with the food we'd be eating and had some).

It was a wonderful time as Mommy and Daddy had a candlelit dinner as John-Paul watched (read "slept) from his seat of honor (read "baby swing") at the head of the table.

Three courses, one feeding, and a diaper change later, we topped it all off with our year old wedding cake top! Daddy was afraid as it had only been in a box (ie no plastic wrap, foil, etc) in a freezer for a whole year, but to our surprise the cake was perfectly fine (though the outer icing was kinda just frozen and hard and therefore somewhat nasty). It was delicious, and now that it's been a few days, I can attest that it didn't make any of us sick let alone keel over! So of course, we decided that since we couldn't possibly eat all of the top of the cake we would just freeze the leftovers for another year and hope for the best! Just kidding!

Finally the very next day was a day that really snuck up on us! John-Paul Padraig turned one MONTH old. Unbelievable! In the past month, he's gained 3 pounds, 2 ounces over his birth weight. He now looks straight at you, will contemplate while regarding your face, and even has come to smile regularly (read at least once a day). He is now sleeping through the night, eating well during the day, and has yet to make Mommy or Daddy leave Mass because of crying. He's graduated from his size extra-small cloth diapers to size small. Finally, he's even trying to coo, and I promise you he's trying to talk to us! Never did I think I'd sit in front of a baby repeating "Oh!" every five seconds trying to get him to repeat after me, but he's done it before so I keep on trying. You can tell by looking at his face that he's forming his mouth to say "Oh!" too, but only gets the air past his vocal cords every once in a while. It's amazing!

In any case, we spent the day celebrating with a trip to the museum and the park! We had a wonderful time, but I'll have to tell you more about it later! John-Paul is waking up as he sleeps here on a blanket in the living room, and I think maybe he has a present for me...

I love being a daddy!:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment